Monday, December 29, 2008

Burn After Reading

Burn After Reading, 3.5 out of 4 stars


Brad Pitt as Chad and he has a big big big trouble in "Burn After Reading"

This few days I just reviewed horror and action movie. So, today I'll choose a comedy film, of course a comedy film which some people might not like it. But for me, I like it. "Burn After Reading" is a comedy film directed by Coen Brothers (Joel Coen and Ethan Coen) who brought you their masterpiece "No Country for Old Men" in 2007. The story of this film is quite complicated for me while watching it. But after awhile, it's like a puzzle all piecing together and became a hilarious comedy. The film begins with a CIA analyst, Osbourne Cox (John Malkovich) who has been fired because of drinking problem. Drinking Problem? After that, he went back home and tell his wife, Katie Cox (Tilda Swinton) that he want to write a memoir. His wife were shock and wanted to divorce. So she went to meet her divorce lawyer to listen some advise. After that day, Katie copy all of her husband personel and financial files into a disc. After give it to the lawyer. Don't know how, the lawyer accidentally drop the disc at the gym club. Chad Feldheimer (Brad Pitt), an employee of the gym thought the content of the disc is highly classified. His fellow employee, Linda Litzke (Frances McDormand) who need money to have plastic surgery. So Chad took this chance to blackmail Osbourne by showing the information at the Russia Embassy. Then both of them has a big big big trouble. So they have to find a way to solve the problem. You want to know? Just watch this movie. It's hard to write down the story because there is too many character inside this movie and it makes the story a bit hard to catch up from the beginning, that's why it loses 0.5 mark here. But, I really envy the director, they know how to manage the character very well and fit into the story. The story is quite unique, because nowadays there is no such movie that make fun of CIA (Maybe there is but I don't know) and the style of the comedy is different. That's why I said not everyone like it (I watch with my friend, and he said "This movie is stupid, I hate it!!). But I hope you all to give it a try (If not nice just blame me, haha just kidding). Although it feels abit draggy from the beginning, but after watching it, the whole movie is very hilarious. Besides that, I like their acting very much especially Brad Pitt and John Malkovich. It really surprise me that John Malkovich act as a good guy here (maybe not). But sometimes their act is quite disturbing and it is a perfect fit for this story. This movie really has a great cast. Other than that, when I watch this movie, I also focus on cinematography which is really good. I had not much to write about this movie, so here comes a conclusion. This is a movie with a lot of character but it is hilarious, and fun to watch.

No comments: