Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, 2.5 out of 4 stars


Melmen, Gloria, Alex, and Marty escape to Africa in "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa".

Happy 2009 again. So how do you want to spend your whole 2009? Go to Africa? Maybe you'll see Alex dancing and playing around there. Just cut the crap. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, the "2" means what? Is it "To" or it is a "sequel"? Yes it is a sequel. It is directed by Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath who brought you the first "Madagascar". The film begins with a flashback on Alex when he was a kid, he used to dancing and playing around instead of training with his father. Because he is too naughty, he has been snatched by hunters and because of the small chases between his father and the hunters, Alex's crate falls down to the ocean and washes to New York city. From there, he become very famous and everyone in New York love him very much (or should I call him "It"?). Then the films jump to the scene where Alex (Voices of Ben Stiller), Zebras (Voices of Chris Rock), Melmen (Voices of David Schwimmer) and Gloria (Voices of Jada Pinkett Smith) singing with each other and they were prepare for a flight back to New York. But things are not going so well, their plane are running out of fuel and their plane crash landed in the Africa plains. Then, without any new plane, fourth of them take off to find any help. During their trip for help, they realise that, their friendship are more important than flying back to New York city. I don't want to write so detail because the story is more interesting than I wrote it above. In my opinion, I like the story of this movie. The story told us that friendship are more important than anything else, and there will be a lot of touching moment between Alex and Zebras which I really like. Despite a great story, this movie losses a lot of funny joke, and in my opinion some of the scene are trying to be funny but it failed. The scene which I talking about is the scene where the old lady "Nana" engaged Alex violently. It is trying to be funny but for me is quite lame, and too over the top. Ooh, I forgot to say something about the story, it is very similar with "Happy Feet". Did you notice that? For me, yes it is. Other than that, the film not too focus on the "Mort" (A very cute creature which has a big big eyes). If the character shows up as much as the "Scrat"(A fictional Saber-tooted Squirrel) in "Ice Age 2: Melt Down", it will be more funnier than the first "Madagascar". Actually I want to give this movie 3 out of 4 stars, but I can't, because I think "Madagascar" is a lot funnier than this one although it is a very short movie. And surprisingly this movie is still alive and I really hope they can do a lot better next time. Overall, "Although it is less funnier than it predecessor, but it's still fun to watch".

No comments: